Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Greetings, Heathens!

Welcome back returning members and welcome aboard to all the newbies! Hopefully everyone had a good summer. It's time for another exciting academic year for the UNCG Atheists, Agnostics, and Skeptics! We began the year with the annual Fall Kickoff event this Tuesday, where UNCG's many student organizations set up tables with information about their groups. The event was a huge success for our group: we received an amazing 42% increase in sign-ups, equating to a few dozen new interested people! Our table included literature from notable secular organizations, such as the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) and Center for Inquiry (CFI), a tri-fold explaining who we are and providing answers to common questions that secular people get, and a bowl full of condoms to promote safe sex.

So, what does the group have in store for you this semester? Our first event will be a game night on Monday, August 26th from 7-9 P.M. Bring your board games and cards to the Jackson library main floor (in the huge area where all the DVDs are) for a night of casual gaming.

Our second event is a spaghetti supper at the College Park Baptist Church on Thursday, September 19th starting at 5 P.M . Prices will be $3 for kids, $5 for adults, and $8 for an all-you-can-eat plate. 60% of the profits will go to a local food assistance program for needy families, the Out of the Garden Project. The remaining 40% will go to our group to fund future fundraisers and speakers. We definitely have plenty more events planned, so please attend our meetings to check us out if you want to get involved.

Our first meeting will be held this Friday in the EUC Phillips room from 7-9 P.M , which is on the first floor. Pizza and cookies are expected, as are lots of conversations. We look forward to meeting everyone!

- Christi Sevits, co-Vice President